Tuesday 18 September 2012

Reviewed: Beer Goggles by Sean Flynn

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’m trying to mend my habits when it comes to writing reviews and that I would start with Sean Flynn’s Beer Goggles. I finally managed to write and submit the review and I thought I would share it in my blog as well. I also thought I would add a separate page where I would collect all my reviews, providing that I manage to write more than just this one. I will use Amazon’s starring system of one to five starts, but I can tell you already that I will only review books that get three stars or more, at least if they are written by fellow indie authors. Anyway, here is my first ever review:

Beer Goggles by Sean Flynn, 4/5 stars

A truly delightful read

The book starts out as a comedy fest of one-liners and funny episodes that will make readers laugh out loud. But Travis’s and Dave’s drunken romp takes a serious turn when they think they have witnessed a murder and try to bring the murderer to justice. The book remains funny, but the tone changes slightly, raising it above a mere comedy number to a genuinely interesting story. The structure of the narrative, which alternates between two points of view, before and after the alleged crime, ensures that readers constantly know more than the main characters do – or they think they know; beer goggles may affect their perception of the events too.

Travis and Dave are likeable fellows and the reader genuinely wants to know what happens to them, the narrative flows effortlessly and the mystery remains unsolved until the very end. All in all, a very enjoyable read that is suitable for everyone.

 
***
What do you think? If you are interested in the book, you can purchase it on amazon.com or .uk, and all the other amazon sites as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment