Skip to main content

Creating a paperback

I have four books out and all but one of them is enrolled in KDP Select. Since I'm free to do what I want with the fourth, "Which way to love?", I've taken time out from writing to format it for other marketplaces. First, I thought to make a CreateSpace book of it. Easier said than done.


I thought to make things as simple as possible for me. So I downloaded a preformatted template from CreateSpace. It gave me a good notion what the book is supposed to look like, but in the end I didn't use it after all. There were too many designs in it that I didn't agree with and so ended up wasting a lot of time correcting those to my liking. I needed a simpler way. So I downloaded another template, this one without formatting.

I got a single page that baffled me at first. But it had all I needed: the size of the page, margins and other details I wouldn't have come to think of. So I resized my manuscript to those specifics. But that was only the beginning.

I've spent a couple of days making the book look like I want it to. The cover page took ages to design, even though I used only one font - the same I use throughout - Garamond. The chapter headings were relatively simple to format, but I spent a great deal of time adding drop caps at the beginning of every chapter. I think it gives the book a nice look. After that, there were some detailing in the text itself. The story contains e-mail conversations that I wanted to stand out from the main body of the text and I tried many different fonts for those; Verdana won.

After two days, the book looks mostly like I want it to. It only lacks the page numbers. And those proved to be troublesome. Try as I might, Word starts page numbering from the first page, the title page. I don't want that. Nor do I want page numbers on a couple of subsequent pages. I want the numbering to start with the first chapter. I'm beginning to think that can't be done. If you have suggestions, please, share.


So that's the insides of the book - almost - taken care of. Next up, the cover. I'll let you know how that goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My #worldcon75 experience

Here’s the long overdue report from my day at the WorldCon 75, my first ever time attending. The event was held on August 9-13 in my home country, Finland, so it was a once in a life-time chance to experience it with a minimum trouble. I originally thought to attend the entire five days, but life intervened in the form of work, and so I could only attend on Saturday. I tried to make the most of it by planning a full day.

I arrived at the conference centre about fifteen minutes after the doors opened at nine in the morning, and the queue was already at least fifty metres long. It caused me a few palpitations until I figured it was the line for people who hadn’t purchased their day passes in advance. I had, so I just walked past, trying not to look gleeful. Half an hour later I felt bad for all those people when it was announced that the day was sold out, which left most of them outside. The queue for pre-purchased passes was three persons long, the shortest line for me the entire day. I…

Reading resolutions (and resolute reading)

It’s a new year and time for a new reading challenge. I’ve participated in the challenge on Goodreads for four years in a row now, and each year I’ve added to the number of books I’ve read. Last year I read sixty books, though I’d originally pledged to read fifty-five. To be on the safe side, I kept it to fifty-five this year too. I usually pick my reading based on how I feel, and it seems I’ve felt like reading quite a lot of urban fantasy and fantasy last year. You can check out here what I read last year.
This year, I decided to be more organised about my reading. So I made a list. I never make them, or if I do I don’t follow them, but a list of books to read has to be easy to stick to. Especially since I didn’t make any difficult promises, like reading classics in their original language.


My list has fifty-six books at the moment, so there’s some room for changes. And it seems I’ll be reading a lot of urban fantasy (27) and fantasy (22) this year too, and quite a lot of it from auth…

Temporality and passage of time in serial fiction

I’ve been binge watching Star Trek: Enterprise lately. I didn’t see it when it aired in 2001-2005, but thanks to the streaming services, I’ve been able to indulge. For those who aren’t familiar with the series, it’s set a hundred years before the adventures of the original series with Captain Kirk and his fellows, and follows the crew of the first starship Enterprise. I’ve always been a Star Trek fan and I’ve liked it in all its incarnations, but Enterprise might be my favourite. There are many reasons for my preference, but what sets it apart from other series is how it allows the passage of time to show.

Many episodic TV series, regardless of the genre, are curiously atemporal. Passage of time is only implied to, maybe with the compulsory Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day episodes, or if the series is set in the school world, with the start and end of the term; if it’s a long-running series, the students move from one grade to the next from season to season. Other than that, …