Wednesday 2 January 2013

A new year, a new cover

A new year is about new starts, right? Well, I’ve never been good at making New Year’s resolutions; or, I can make them, I just can’t keep them. My new leaf is, therefore, a new cover for an old book. Those of you who have read this blog before may remember that I have a tendency to change the covers I make every now and then. However, the cover for ‘At Her Boss’s Command’ has been troublesome from the start (see the old covers here and here).

The trouble with the covers of this book has been that they haven’t really reflected everything the book is. The first one was too sexy and the second one too romantic. And neither of them conveyed the suspense side of the story. What I needed was a cover that combines all three aspects. This time, I think I’ve nailed it.

The picture of two shoes, man’s and woman’s, lined side by side hit me instantly as the one I needed when I came across it on Dreamstime. They’re elegant shoes, suitable for business people; they’re facing each other, very close to one another, giving a notion of two people embracing; and the man’s shoe dominates the picture and thereby the other shoe, the woman. And empty as they are, just two nameless shoes, they hint of a mystery as well.

Fonts took a great deal of pondering over. In the end, I chose a colour scheme that complements the woman’s shoe. Contrasting the soft hue, the font face of the title is a serious serif font you might see on a cover of a detective story instead of a rounder font more popular in romantic stories, and I added a catch-phrase that I think will pique readers’ curiosity – although it will most likely be illegible in a thumbnail size. Together, the fonts and the photograph form a nice and balanced picture.

So yes, I’m happy with my new cover. I’ve uploaded it already – so it’s too late to influence me – and it should show up on the product page on Amazon within a couple of days; it takes a bit longer for the Look Inside feature to update. However, if you do like to give your opinion, leave a comment. It may be too late for this book, but there’s a sister book for this one coming up later this spring and I found another shoe picture for that one that I will use if this one works.

There you have it, a new start. Happy New Year, everyone!

At Her Boss's Command by Hannah Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment