Skip to main content

On writing


I’ve been a bit stuck with the book I’m currently writing, the next one in the Two-Natured London series, the Warrior’s Heart. Well, stuck is a wrong word. I’ve written it every day, just not very much. I know where it should go; I just don’t want it to get there yet. Coming up with a plausible plot turn has evaded me thus far.

Since I’m not writing feverishly, I’ve had time to reflect on my writing style. I’ve never been a prolific or fast writer and this has partly to do with how I write. I constantly go back in my text. Before I start with the next chapter, usually at the beginning of the day, I read through what I have written so far, make corrections and refresh my mind about what I should write next. Sometimes, like at the moment, when I don’t feel inspired, I read and edit longer stretches of the manuscript. It slows me down, but the benefit of this is that my book gets edited and proofread more thoroughly than it otherwise would. I believe, too, that it helps me develop the story better.

My slowness might also have to do with the fact that I don’t really know the story beforehand when I start writing. I have a vague idea of the plot and the characters, what they are like and how they should act, but nothing more specific than that. I know there are writers who plan the story carefully before they start to write, but I’ve never been able to do that. Not properly anyway. I’ve outlined the plot a couple of times, only to realise halfway through the book that I’ve ignored my notes completely and the story is different than I imagined it to be. It might be a better story too, who knows.

With every book, there comes a point where I have to continue even though I’m not particularly inspired to. I simply write on, forcing the story and the characters in some direction, any direction, just to get past the difficult spot. I can always go back and edit it later. Or next day.

On a completely different note, the winter has well and truly arrived. The snow that fell a couple of weeks ago is gone, but there is one definite sign. The sailing season has ended. My husband has taken the boat off the water and tucked it in for the winter. As a result, our living room has been filled with sails for some reason. I hope it’s only temporary – like my dry spell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading resolutions (and resolute reading)

It’s a new year and time for a new reading challenge. I’ve participated in the challenge on Goodreads for four years in a row now, and each year I’ve added to the number of books I’ve read. Last year I read sixty books, though I’d originally pledged to read fifty-five. To be on the safe side, I kept it to fifty-five this year too. I usually pick my reading based on how I feel, and it seems I’ve felt like reading quite a lot of urban fantasy and fantasy last year. You can check out here what I read last year.
This year, I decided to be more organised about my reading. So I made a list. I never make them, or if I do I don’t follow them, but a list of books to read has to be easy to stick to. Especially since I didn’t make any difficult promises, like reading classics in their original language.


My list has fifty-six books at the moment, so there’s some room for changes. And it seems I’ll be reading a lot of urban fantasy (27) and fantasy (22) this year too, and quite a lot of it from auth…

Temporality and passage of time in serial fiction

I’ve been binge watching Star Trek: Enterprise lately. I didn’t see it when it aired in 2001-2005, but thanks to the streaming services, I’ve been able to indulge. For those who aren’t familiar with the series, it’s set a hundred years before the adventures of the original series with Captain Kirk and his fellows, and follows the crew of the first starship Enterprise. I’ve always been a Star Trek fan and I’ve liked it in all its incarnations, but Enterprise might be my favourite. There are many reasons for my preference, but what sets it apart from other series is how it allows the passage of time to show.

Many episodic TV series, regardless of the genre, are curiously atemporal. Passage of time is only implied to, maybe with the compulsory Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day episodes, or if the series is set in the school world, with the start and end of the term; if it’s a long-running series, the students move from one grade to the next from season to season. Other than that, …

Reading recap: March

I had a good reading month last month. Everything I read was delightful and entertaining, on top of which they were good books too. Again, I didn’t quite stick to my reading list; two out of five books were outside it.
First up was A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab. It’s the second book in her Shades of Magic trilogy set in a world of parallel Londons that have different levels of magic and which can be travelled between by a special person with enough magic and right words. Grey London is in the Regency England of the ‘real’ world with little or no magic, Red London is abundant with magic, and White London is in permanent winter and constantly struggles to regain its magic by any means necessary. In the first book, Lila gets accidentally drawn from Grey to Red London by Kell who can travel between the worlds, and decides to stay. In this second book, she enters the stage as a pirate and ends up taking part in a tournament of magic. Most of the book is taken by the tournament, and…