Friday 10 June 2022

It’s my ten-year author anniversary!

This week, June 7th to be precise, marks ten years since I published my first book, The Wolf’s Call. It’s been an interesting decade to say the least. I wasn’t an overnight successduhbut my first book did well enough during its first eight months that I could keep publishing through several leaner years.

How the cover has changed over the years

If you’re wondering why it sold well for only such a short time, Amazon changed its algorithms in 2013 and prevented self-published books from appearing in searches before traditionally published books. It cut the income of many self-published authors to a fraction of what it had been, mine included. I was lucky to have started before the change happened. Otherwise I might have given up ages ago.

But I persevered. Last month, I published my thirtieth book, so I’ve published an average three books a year. The milestone belongs to Tracy Hayes, P.I. for the Win. It’s the tenth in the series and I’m glad that it got the honours. It’s my most popular series by far, and the book ends a longer arc too.

What have I learned, then, during this decade? It’s been an amazing curve from a clueless but hopeful to knowledgeable and realistic.

I’ve learned that shorter books suit my writing style best. Mine are fifty thousand words average, though the newer are a bit longer. I can pace them better and make them more interesting than my longer books. They’re better for me financially too, as I can’t realistically ask more than $3-4 for them, whether they’re forty thousand words or a hundred thousand.

I’ve learned that publishing more books really is the key for financial success. When I started, I thought it meant any book that I managed to publish. But it actually means, at least for me, more books in the same series. It wasn’t until book seven of P.I. Tracy Hayes series that people really took notice. And the same goes for my other series too.

I’ve learned that my readers like light mysteries over contemporary romances. I like writing them better too. I have many ideas for romances, but all of them have been postponed to far future.

I’ve learned not to be embarrassed about marketing my books. Back when I started, social media was the only marketing channel for me, but the mere notion of telling people of my books made me break out in sweat. I’m over that, and although I don’t think social media sells books any better than it did back then, it’s easier for me to do it.

I’ve learned that one pen name is better than two. When I started, I had different pen names for paranormal and contemporary romances. Hannah Kane had to retire, and I republished my contemporary romances as Susanna Shore a few years ago. They still don’t sell, but at least I don’t have to maintain two identities.

I’ve learned to make book covers. I’ve always done all my covers myself. They still can’t compete with the professional work, but the current cover of The Wolf’s Call is miles from the original. Good thing people back then didn’t expect self-published books to look professional.

The first cover of The Wolf's Call

I’ve found that I like making covers and it’s a good way for me to relax between books. I have a great many covers waiting for books that might never be written.

But perhaps the most important thing I’ve learned in the past decade is to call myself an author. I felt like a fraud for a long time and didn’t like to talk about it with people I didn’t know. This week was basically the first time that I outright told a random person that I’m an author. It was wonderfully liberating.

I’m still not making a living with my writing. But for the first time, that goal is within sights. I’m in a good place personally and professionally about my career. And there’s a lot to come.

My next book will start a new series, making it the fourth ongoing series I’m publishing at the same time. The Reed Files is a spin-off from P.I. Tracy Hayes books. The first book is called The Perfect Scam and it’s an international mystery set in France. I’m very excited about it and I hope readers will find it. The book will come out on July 31, a perfect way to launch the next decade of my author career.

For my next decade, my goals are to become more entrepreneurial, or at least more efficient about things like advertising. It’s more of a point and shoot tactic now. I’d also like to tackle audio books at some point. Currently, they’re not worth the cost for me. And, of course, I’d like to make a living from my writing. And that means writing more books. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment